Wednesday 6 May 2015

Living the Owl Life


Last Sunday ended with me watching my first ever Bengali movie - 89. A thriller, with subtitles of course. Unlike many of the billionaire super-achievers out there, I do not believe in monotone. So I can't wear the same colour to work everyday to set a routine so one doesn't have to waste time thinking about it. On the contrary, I believe in making memories. I like to experiment. I like to have many firsts. I don't have a bucket list, for I think it'll be far too long, and I know I'll do whatever I wish to do anyway. I make many plans, be it for the week, month or even the rest of the year. All of them, may not materialise, but I love the process of planning and researching; dreaming and looking forward to it all. But that is not to say, I do not live in the present. For when, one works in the Emergency Department, every minute serves as a constant reminder that Now is All you've Got.

The week started with a night shift, and then my sleeping day. I flaunted the "owl" earrings designed by a sister-in-law and gifted to me by another. I binged on Thai food (which is my new comfort food, after my mum's home-cooked food) and tried the steamed seabass for the first time, especially loved the lime and chilli sauce with it - so refreshing; and the iced lemongrass to go with it! That evening ended on a high with Max Brenner's dark chocolate hug mug and the Chai Tea (which is quite like the Indian masala chai with Cardamom) only that it's presented very differently (shall not reveal more about it here, do give it a try!)

The rest of the days were quite busy on the work front, but that wouldn't stop us from taking the visiting sister-in-law out for fancy dinner at Rochester Park. We truly love the Cheese platter at Da Paolo's; but we decided to go to North Border instead - their buffalo wings are to die for! Loved their service, only wish the Moscato bottle was slightly bigger/wider!

Labour Day was spent at work as well. They say if you love what you do, it's not a "job". My work is hectic, intensive and can get annoyingly busy as well. But, when you walk out into the twilight, there's this deep sense of fulfilment, that arises from knowing that you did your best and that really helps to make you feel much better than what you felt in there, amidst all that chaos. I treated myself, with the company of friends, to an Akshay Kumar Bollywood movie, full with all the masala; and followed it with absolutely yummy snow-flaked waffles with ice-cream at Rabbit Owl Depot (with a mental note, to get back to that quaint little cafe, very soon!)

And soon enough, the Saturday dawned upon us. Even though, I work over weekends as well, there's something lazy about it, nonetheless. We had booked tickets for the Shankar Mahadevan concert at Esplanade, later that evening. What an amazing experience that was! 'Kaleidoscope' - a fusion concert featuring many folk artists from across the various states of India; supported by very talented musicians; a well-orchestrated depiction of the musical heritage of India that left us with many a goosebump moment; not to forget, "Breathless". In the meanwhile, the younger bro, placed first at an all-India Battle of the Bands and bagged some good load of cash prize for it! Couldn't be more proud!

And thus, before I realised it, the week had ended where it began - by the river. Under the starry sky. Quite an eventful one, I must say. It had been 5 months since #SocialShaadi as well. And as we sat comfortably in silence, having gobbled up some Gluttons by the Bay satay; absorbing the vibes around us, we were grateful for the opportunities that life had bestowed upon us.

Why do I call it the owl-week? Not just because it had a night shift :D or I spent the late evenings, outdoors! Because, if like an owl, you hone your visual and hearing skills enough, even you'll be able to see in the dark and listen to voices, humans can't usually hear. And the truth is, in the dark of the night, what you see is what you really ever dream about and what you hear, is the beat of the loving heart, that inner voice. And if we care enough, that is enough to keep us going...

A week of firsts and lasting memories.
A week of honing the owl skills.
A week of twilight and dawning wisdom.

(Deep shit, eh? Lol)

T-23wks

No comments:

Post a Comment