Wednesday 16 September 2015

Feeling Alive

So last weekend, Prantik and I decided to go on a low-to-no (added) sugar diet for a week. The idea was to reduce packaged and processed foods, say no to carbonated drinks, packaged juices, ice-creams etc. We had a heavy heart when we had to shove the Milo tetra-packs away; we were allowed one home-made coffee a day. And thus, the terms and conditions were set.

Day 1
I remember myself craving for the usual cream-cheese bun, that I end up having as "lunch" for the lack of time, on usual days. But that day, each of us got a break, enough time to grab proper lunch. I remember calling Prantik up and panicking for I wasn't sure what I should eat! He said I could have normal lunch ie. rice and vegetables, chicken for the protein. And so, I produced my Kopitiam card and had some rice, with green leafy vegetables, chicken curry and curd. Not too bad. A decent, balanced meal that. So, I am not trying to lose weight; on the contrary I'm just trying to have my meals (not skip them, thanks to work!) and whenever, I do, ensure I have healthy calories.

Day 2
I was working the evening shift. So I was back around 11pm. And I had had time to grab some light dinner at my workplace. So, then I called Pran up. And asked him to get into his running shoes. I got home and quickly changed into comfortable shorts and a tee; and then, off we were. I haven't run in years, 5 to be precise. So, my stamina as expected had hit rock-bottom. But, I must point out, the distance doesn't really matter. That first step does. Going out, forcing yourself to get those knees moving (yeah, I have knee issues which at a point in time, severely restricted my dancing and badminton playing, thanks to the excruciating pain!). It felt really good to be jogging under the night sky, with my life partner.

Day 3
Another evening shift; but I hadn't had time to grab dinner. So I got home and quickly ate some food that I had cooked prior to leaving for my shift. Food in the stomach ensures the blood supply rushes to the abdomen to assist in digestion; which makes one lazy and sleepy :P But, we pushed ourselves to head out that night again. For if the first step is important, the second is crucial. Post-dinner is usually not recommended but we were left with no other option. So, down the same round we ran again. Little traffic, sounds of nature, and soft breeze. Cannot get any better. I think I ran lesser than the previous night but that was expected. Walking back into the apartment complex, we were happy we pushed ourselves.

Day 4
I had a night shift which meant no night run. It also meant, 3 meals, at regular times :D For sometimes, while exercise is good, eating the right foods is equally stressed upon. Staying home, one can end up binging on junk food. What does one do then to manage temptations? Get rid of them! If there's no junk food at home, you can't really have them, can you? Stock the fridge with nutritious goodies - snack on fruits,raw vegetables or even dry fruits; stir up salads if you like. So, when I felt hungry, I'd pick up a custard apple or some Arabian dates, instead of Lindt Lindor :D

Day 5
I slept through the day after a South Indian breakfast with my night shift partner; and I binged on Grey's Anatomy episodes later through the hazy evening! I chatted with my mum and laughed out loud. For if what you feed your stomach is important, what one feeds their soul is paramount! I was all set to spend the rest of the evening at home; however, Pran spells spontaneity! So, he suggested we head out for dinner, to celebrate our 9th month anniversary (belated). So, I put on new clothes sent by my parents and new accessories, which were sent as Rakhi gift by the brother; and headed out for North Indian dinner with the husband. We loved the ambience at Kinara, Holland Village and the food was delicious as well. Butter Chicken rarely goes wrong! Some indulgence that! But we stayed off alcohol and desserts. Not bad eh?

Day 6
The next day, after my shift, on the SG General Election Day, we headed out to catch some movies. We were able to watch back-to-back movies, Kadambari and Welcome Back, the latter with the friends' gang. The movies were a stark contrast to each other; we enjoyed them both. More importantly, we stayed off the oh-so-tempting popcorn and coca-cola combo, that usually accompanies a movie spree. For sometimes, what one doesn't do works wonders, way more than what one may do! :D

Day 7
Finally an off day, over the weekend! But we overcame the lazy bug and though our alarm clocks deceived us, we managed to meet Shilpa-Shivanu for a morning walk at the beautiful MacRitchie Reservoir Park. We had done a different trail earlier in the year, so this time we went on a different one, including the boardwalk. The lush greenery and the calm waters is to behold. To be amidst such bountiful nature, along with good conversation with friends was indeed a beautiful experience. Fresh morning air always rejuvenates like none other. We followed that with simple brunch at a garden cafe, Canopy. We ordered super-fruit/detox juices and some eggs, mushrooms and toast. We liked what we ordered and would probably head back to the place, some time in the future.
Later that evening, as planned, Prantik and I headed to the Tanjong Beach, at Sentosa, to partake in the annual yoga event - #SoulScape. There were hundreds of people, of all races and religions, gathered with their colourful yoga mats. There were fun counters, where one could pin positivity or paint on the common large canvas (Namaste/Om/EatPrayLove etc). The Sunset Yoga session (led by yoga teacher Saumik Bera) was really good; which was later followed by moon meditation and another yoga session (by Cristi Christensen). The combination of yoga, music and dance and of course, meditation by the beach, under twilight was simply gorgeous and an experience of a lifetime! Thoroughly enjoyed all the vibes of enthusiasm and positivity. Peace!

And thus, we wrapped up the week, feeling rejuvenated, feeling positive and feeling alive...

A week of watching our physical activity and diet.
A week of focussing on our breath, and listening to our hearts beating.
A week of feeling alive and at peace...

T-4wks

No comments:

Post a Comment