Sunday 16 August 2015

Seven Surprises!

Imagine my utter surprise when I'm heading back after work and I get a message from my mom-look-alike aunt telling me that they are in Singapore! August thus kickstarted with the first from the extended family visiting us :) Heart-warming to say the least. We hugged, kissed, smiled, laughed and had a jolly good time. The little one, Amreen, fondly called Ammu, after our beloved grandmother, infact has some facial features like Mamama. Being the youngest first cousin from the maternal side, she's the apple of our eyes; gifted with a melodious voice, a kind heart and a shy smile, she could steal anybody's heart in a moment, which is exactly what she did at our wedding #SocialShaadi :)

The next day marked 8 months since our wedding. And the dear husband earned brownie points by choosing to work from home so he could spend the day with me (I was working the night shift that day which meant I was home most of the day) - For not all gifts need to be touched; the gift of time is precious, invaluable...and touching indeed - Prantik had clearly read Gary Chapman's "The 5 Love Languages" cover to cover ;)

Post the night shift, getting back home and crashing is a routine that Prantik has gotten accustomed to. I have cereal with milk for breakfast, wave him good day, and then dive into the abyss of sweet slumber... I got up quite late, way past 4pm, unlike usual 'sleep days'. I dressed up and joined Pran for our movie spree date. Prior to meeting him, I picked up a card for Friendship Day to present to the best friend, even though 2 days late :P And then, I honestly surprised myself by staying up for back to back movies, despite a messed up wake-sleep cycle. We watched Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible and Salman Khan's Bajrangi Bhaijaan and liked both movies, much to our surprise!

The next day I had class, followed by shift. I reached home, only closer to midnight. But that didn't stop us from watching Shonda Rhimes' Scandal. Our daily dose of TV, couch time, us time. :) The last 2 months were quite busy with our parents in town and we didn't really get time for Netflix :D so, we were making up for that :D

Thursday was an off day. I had loads of stuff to do on my checklist - finish a book, do the laundry, watch FRIENDS maybe, work on my case review presentation draft, and cook perhaps. The only thing that happened was the last item! I surprised myself by conjuring up an entire healthy thali for dinner and infact enjoying it all, while listening to Shafqat Amanat Ali's Ajab Khail on loop (which was also a chance discovery - Ah! The joy of discovering soulful music). There was Palak-Carrot Pulao, Mushroom Shabnam Curry, Baingan Bharta, Cucumber Raita and Mango Chutney :) Prantik even took second helpings :P Don't they say a way to a man's heart is through his stomach :D:D:P Mission accomplished ;) We then headed for the night show of Drishyam, with friends; a thriller well-done, it was a good way to welcome the long weekend.

Long weekend for everyone, but service providers, like us, healthcare personnel. I worked on all days of the #SG50 Jubilee weekend. And so did so many others in the healthcare sector - right from doctors, nurses, clerks, auxilary staff - and there might have been long faces, once in a while, but while working, each one worked with an enviable fervour. It was good to be on the receiving end of appreciation, from patients and their families' for caring for them during this weekend - and I would respond simply with - "You don't have to thank me! It's my duty, my pleasure :)" and that is the simple truth. When surrounded by people who love what they do, and are as passionate about it as you are, then waking up everyday and going to work is not a chore - it's part of happy living. To be honest, having worked in ED for 1.5 years now, it has become such an integral part of my life, I can't imagine myself doing anything else. This realization came quite serendipitously, indeed!

The next evening, we headed to Shushanta-Nikita's housewarming party. We were catching up with the gang after quite sometime! We had home-cooked dinner and oh-so-sweet wine; and I topped it with some vodka/cranberry juice before heading out to the newly opened/re-opened Rupee at St.James. It was only Day 2 since they had opened and it was good fun grooving to Bollywood numbers, in a space larger than Magic Carpet. Phew! Finally :) Tune Maari Entry... played too and it brought back such fun memories from our Sangeet :)

A week of good fun time with extended family and friends :)
A week of catching up on movies :D
A week full of surprises and serendipity, indeed!

T-9wks

No comments:

Post a Comment