Sunday 14 June 2015

Count your blessings

Last Sunday evening, I was enjoying mini Magnum with mum, while enjoying fun conversation with the Bangalore boys - dad and bro :D As much fun as it is to have mum over, I obviously miss them too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping we can all be together on my 25th b'day. One might think, I'm crazy - but maybe, it's just an excuse to get the entire family together, again :)

The week had primarily evening shifts, which gave me full mornings with mum. And Singapore, was showered with cool rains so the mornings were rather pleasant - The perks of staying on high floors, with a view! :)

Mid-week, I had a standby day - luckily for me, no one called in sick so I could spend all day with mum! What a splendid shopping spree we had :D Our first stop was at IKEA in the morning. Their showroom display is so tempting; I distinctly remember texting Pran, at many occasions, and he'd say - you earn! Go ahead and spend it :D Muhahahaha! Just the thing I needed ;) I did pick up a few small things, for the kitchen and the living room. I even got home a potted money plant :) We've always had one at our Bangalore home, so it seemed like one of those simple must-haves that define our cosy homes!

I did run to my workplace for a lecture by Prof, post-lunch. After which, I caught mum on the MRT and then we headed to VivoCity. It's been 9 months in SG, and I could still get lost in that mall! But I frequent that place more often than other malls, so, I surprisingly have taken a liking to it... We were there to pick a PS4 game for Rohit, my younger brother; we ended up picking a few t-shirts for the guys as well, while enjoying Australian Boost sorbet/juice.

As funny as it is every time I hear it, the truth is, if you're Indian, no visit to Singapore is complete without a visit to the you-name-it-you-get-it Mustafa centre! :D So we found ourselves, manoeuvring around the many lanes and shelves; and picking up some groceries, baking stuff and yes, some Milo for the brother! The brother meanwhile, was enjoying his week, out with his friends, trekking to different heights. His music scene looks promising too - with him lending his voice for another band as well. Couldn't be more kicked! (Mental note: Pick up more Milo!)

Later that evening, we watched an English movie on TV - You Aren't You. Starring Hilary Swank and Emmy Rossum, it showcased the bond between an accomplished pianist/career woman bogged down by terminal illness; and her care-giver. It was soul-stirring and touching; and served as a reminder as to how, life could take a turn, anyday! So, all we really have, is today, rather now! So let's be grateful, have fun and laugh with the people we love :)

I enjoyed watching FRIENDS re-runs with Mum. Joey and Phoebe can tickle one's bones! And Chandler's sarcasm - can't not love :P I'd definitely miss watching these episodes, with her, while having our meals :) Mum's made a lot of my favourite Konkani dishes throughout the week - and I'd obviously lick my plates clean, after every meal! :D

The shifts at the latter half of the week went longer, owing to many more patients and sicker ones too; I spent a few moments in silence to pray for the patient I had seen the previous evening; who eventually succumbed to severe infection. When I had spoken to his big family, little had I known that his condition would deteriorate so quickly, culminating in his eventual demise just 8hrs from then. Sigh! Working in ED works as such a reality check... Constant reminder to be kind, always.

On a complete different tangent - (yes, we do have to compartmentalise our lives, to be effective...) - daytimes were spent organising the cupboards etc with mum's help. I like things in their specific places, kept neat and tidy; yes, my husband probably suspects I'm borderline OCD :P but oh well! He must thank me for being detail-oriented - he gets to have birthday countdowns ;) which also, began this week :)

A week of shopping for home and family.
A week of being kind and having kindness showered upon!
A week of b'day countdowns and counting blessings. :)

T-17wks




No comments:

Post a Comment