Monday 29 June 2015

Reminiscence and Evanescence

Last Sunday marked Prantik's first birthday eve, post #SocialShaadi. And, the truth is first birthdays are always a lot of pressure! Apart from a few cute little things that I had picked up, some experience gifts like a spa, making his favourite - Appams etc. and some other electronic stuff, I hadn't done my usual heart-warming stuff like videos, photobooks, scrapbooks with messages from close friends and family - maybe I had set the bar too high early on and I was running out of ideas or maybe I had just lost my creative streak thanks to my ever-changing busy schedule - but obviously that's no excuse whatsoever! So, I tried to salvage the situation, by organising a surprise cake-cutting for him at 12, with his close friends over :) I involved Maa as well, who helped pick up the cake right under his nose, without him even suspecting we were partners-in-crime :D

So I got back post shift, right before midnight, put up the "Happy Birthday" banner, got the cake and candles out and patiently waited for the clock to strike 12. Knock, knock! Who's there!
Well, Prantik was obviously surprised and the look on his face was priceless :) And thus, he blew the candles, made a wish and cut the cake; Baba (Prantik's dad) joined the celebration from Pune, via FaceTime Video.

I had an early morning shift or so I thought! And while on the MRT, I realised my shift wasn't on until an hour later! Damn! I could have slept an hour longer :S Anyways, the ED consultants let me hang around and started my patient queue early and it doesn't end there. They even went to the extent of giving me patients early on, so I could sort them out early, finish my shift on time and get home to celebrate my husband's birthday with him. Wah! I was so touched - and excited at the same time! Mixed emotions. Pran and Maa, in the meantime, visited a nearby temple to thank the Almighty for another beautiful year gone past :)

Later that evening, we had lovely dinner at Shahi Maharani, with close friends; with live Hindi ghazals in the background. One of Prantik's close friends, Shivanu, got them to sing "Baar Baar Din Yeh Aaye...Happy B'day To You!" while the restaurant staff, brought Pran a candle mounted on Gulaab Jamun;  so Pran got to make a birthday wish yet again :) and then they very kindly took a group picture. But what was even more impressive was that they got an instant print of it and presented Pran with an artistic, personalised photo-card wishing him well on his birthday - that I must say, was neatly done! And totally won them brownie points! That said, I must add I really enjoyed the food as well - right from the Chicken Tikka starters to Mutton Keema curry, Kofta curry etc - and their Roomali Roti was soft and well-done. So, I ate to my heart's content while enjoying the ghazals from days of yore; One from not so long ago, "Hoshwalon Ko Khabar Kya..." is one of Prantik's all time favourites and they sang that on request - so awesome:)

The next day, was another early start. I got home in the evening and chatted with Maa; and then we headed out with Prantik for dinner at one of their long-time Pune friends place. Fun conversations ensued and I must say, that the group's joviality was infectious and the feast was obviously delicious - especially some of their specialities. What was endearing was to see their Indonesian helper beaming and hugging Maa after discovering that Maa could speak Bahasa Indonesia. Maa has always been the kind and simple, all-loving person for as long as I can trace back - Yeah! I knew Maa even before I knew Pran :D For Maa, was my Bharatnatyam dance teacher when I was only 5yrs old - haha! The transition from Ma'am to Maa :P It was so heart-warming to see how Maa was sharing photos from the dinner, with Gina (the helper)via Whatsapp. Damn cool :D

I had a mid-week off which I spent chilling at home during the day, with Maa. It was so much fun listening to stories from Pran's childhood and his obnoxiously naughty deeds! (A part of me has begun to wonder if and when, we do have a kid of our own, how crazy he/she is going to be thanks to wonderfully eccentric set of genes!) That afternoon, Maa and I set out on our shopping date to IKEA. We picked up a few things for the household, while also getting lost in the meandering aisles :D and later, had some mushroom cream soup and chicken wings at the IKEA restaurant. We called it a day by watching ABCD2 with PranMaz.

I had a Thursday night shift, so that morning I was decluttering photos on my phone and I spotted some nice clicks from our Lombok honeymoon - Such a lovely, care-free holiday that was! Got me planning our next getaway ;) Yes, I never stop dreaming and planning :D
I got home Friday morning and crashed, after breakfast with the family. That evening was our spa-date. So we indulged in some much-needed body massage and relaxed...Simple pleasures of life - one that money can buy! But of course, most pleasures cannot be bought :)

Later, we joined the Happy Tribe at Float at the Bay, to celebrate Happy Marketer kickstarting their 7th year. We cruised along the Singapore river, taking in the beautifully lit skyline and even enjoying the laser light show. There's something so quaint about the river water at night; one could just float, underneath the cloudless, starry sky and pleasant breeze... In the vastness that surrounds and encompasses us, one does feel like a speck of dust in this big, fat universe! But that's how surreal it is to be amidst nature.

Saturday morning, depsite being the weekend, was unexpectedly busy. Maybe we were short on manpower but oh well - Every shift ends! So, meanwhile, Hakuna Matata! :D Maa and Pran picked up some groceries and I made Basil Pesto Quinoa Pasta with saute'd vegetables for dinner.
Unlike usual Sundays, Pran had an early cricket game to be at and I too joined #ActiveSG and played Badminton, after what seems like ages, with the Strathmore folks and their friends. It felt so good, it's difficult to describe in words. Can't wait for the next session!

Prantik got back by afternoon, after a victorious friendly-game, prior to which I was chatting with Baba, and planning out our travel itinerary. Much fun!

A week of birthday and anniversary celebrations.
A week of meeting new people and creating new memories.
A week of reminiscence and the poignant truth of evanescence.

T-15wks


No comments:

Post a Comment