Sunday 7 June 2015

My favourite angel pays me a visit

Last Sunday, home-alone, I was FaceTime-ing with my newer set of parents - my in-laws. As heart-warming and fun as it was to be pulling their son's leg :P his absence during the call was striking. We were planning our next travel plans and India visit - excited much!

Monday blues did surface. And while, people were "liking" the previous blogspost, I was adjusting to the 12-hour time difference. And preparing myself to 2 whole weeks of mummy-time :)

Mum landed next day morning, and receiving someone at the airport is one of my favourite things in the world! Just hugging them and welcoming them home - so joyful! After a quick coffee mocha at Paris Baguette, we headed home. The canopy cover by the roadside is to behold. May I say I was thrilled that mum was impressed by how I had kept the house neat and oragnized ;) A child never drops the slightest chance to impress his/her parents :P

I had mum's special prawn curry for lunch! And the next day, which was Prantik and my half-year anniversary, mum made my favourite mango dessert! Am I lucky or what?
I also took the opportunity to introduce mum to some of my favourites around - Tom Yum soup, Thai raw mango salad, "Sanum" frozen yoghurt at Ilao Ilao, milk tea with lychees at Share Tea etc.

June 5th, marked World Environment Day; after class with Prof, headed out with Mum to the Jurong Bird Park. We were amazed at the sheer beauty around - the colourful birds and their peculiar habits, the freshness in the air; Nature never ceases to amaze. :)

We also managed to catch Zoya Akhtar's multi-starrer Dil Dhadhakne Do. Mum and I had a good laugh; there was some good acting even though the story wasn't extra-ordinary; we did enjoy ourselves :) For in the end, good family time is priceless.

The week also witnessed the passing away of my secondary school Math teacher - she was a victim of a car accident; she was straight-forward in her teaching and simple in her living. The school lost a valuable asset while a family lost an invaluable soul. R.I.P ma'am; you'll be sorely missed.

Letter by a father who had lost his son in his early 20s in the US, was also doing the rounds, across news channels and social media. While at one end, it emphasized on letting children free and not pressurizing them to do things beyond their potential (though, most argue, potential is unlimited) - I think it was a good reminder to most parents who might have ultra-high expectations from their children and push them to pursue higher studies/work overseas; a lot of children might find it hard to adjust in a completely new culture and surroundings! Moreover, his 20-hr work days were tiring him out mentally and physically - as fate would have it, his son was a victim of a gruesome car accident.
Another story about how, life can change in the blink of an eye :S

The very fact that life is so mercurial and one never knows, what fate has in store for us round the corner, could be scary at one level; but it could also teach us to value life and live each day to the fullest. It's only imperative we live in the present moment, taking in every new breath we are blessed with. My way of remaining grateful is by doing my Sudarshan Kriya and it's such a beautiful experience to do it with my mum. Those minutes of focussed breathing and turning one's attention inward and of sharpened awareness are truly happy times! I follow that with a reading from the Ashtavakra Gita, which only adds to ones spiritual knowledge, reiterating the need to let go and just dance in the divine consciousness. :)

I had a night shift over the weekend; patients kept pouring in and there was no respite! We had some help with the doctors in the other segment of Emergency pitching in to help us - thankful for that kind gesture! But I guess, all of it adds up to the sense of fulfilment one feels on walking out post-shift, into the rain-washed morning. Heading home, to be welcomed by cool breeze and warm mummy-bear-hug - can I be happier?

Exhausted, I slept through the day, while mum enjoyed a Malayalam movie :)
Later, in the evening we headed out for a stroll at Gardens by the Bay. We were astounded by the variety of flora we were amidst and gorgeous vertical structures! And when the lights came on, they looked even prettier. There was even a special light and music show - Golden Rhapsody - which was so uplifting! To hear Alladin, Toy Story etc. soundtracks actually gave me a nice fuzzy feeling, reminding me of my own happy childhood :) We indulged in some Satay by the Bay and then traced our footsteps back to home sweet home.

A week sans Pran, spending quality time with my angel Mum.
A week of enjoying mum-cooked meals - finger-lickin' good!
A week of marvelling at Nature's bounty and being grateful for what we have :)

T-18wks

No comments:

Post a Comment